OK folks, there will be another radio show from me this week at 7-8PM on Fresh Air this coming Thursday.
This was last week’s show -here’s the tracklisting again, and if you wish to listen to it, it’s there below:
1. Dead Can Dance ‘Children Of The Sun.’
2. Kate Bush ‘Running Up That Hill.’
3. Twin Shadow ‘Five Seconds.’
4. We Are The Physics ‘Applied Robotics.’
5. Aggi Doom ‘Bring Me The Head.’
6. Shamen ‘Jesus Loves Amerika.’ ‘Gone but not forgotten.’
7. Soap&Skin ‘Wonder.’
8. Cancel The Astronauts ‘Making Dynamite.’ Album of the month Animal Love Match
9. Matt Norris and the Moon ‘Roots Below.’
10. The Delgados ‘Mr. Blue Sky.’ ‘Cover version of the week.’
11. Grimes ‘Genesis.’
12. Antony & the Johnsons ‘Cut The World.’
Glasgow’s Aggi Doom are just fantastic. They describe themselves as being ‘dark wave’ – though as one or two others have observed, this may be to throw the unsuspecting off the scent…I am so smitten with their forthcoming ‘Bring Me The Head’/’Cakewalk’ single (due out on Soft Power on May 21) that I played said single five times in a row.
They are Claudia Nova, Scott Caruth, Hillary Van Scoy and Joan Sweeney. Although their facebook page descrbes our three heroines and hero as being ‘unsigned’ they have contributed a track called ‘The Loving Kind’ to a Creeping Bent compilation called Fluxing Up The Aesthetic, as well as the aforementioned Soft Power single.
They combine the best of The Raincoats with a nod to 60s garage rock and exude the sort of cool that The Slits’ older sisters might have had (actually, speaking of which, they did support Viv Albertine in Glasgow a few months ago). Yes, I could talk about c81 and c86 (I may have done that too often here on 17 Seconds in the last six years), but they are so very, very good. And there is so much more to them than this.